EVERYTHING POTATO KNISHES RECIPE
- Auntie Anne's© At-HomeTM Baking Kit
- 1 cup warm water
- ¹∕³ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil,
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1½ lbs. russet potatoes (about 3),
peeled and halved
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon pretzel salt (from the kit)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
See our Dough Preparation PDF, or the instructions that came with your baking kit.
POTATO KNISHES RECIPE Yield: 10 servings| Preheat oven to 375°F.
- While dough rises, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a
large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring
occasionally, until deeply golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cover potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil over
medium heat. Cook until tender; then drain well. Mash
potatoes with cream cheese, then season with salt and
pepper and stir in caramelized onions.
- Divide risen dough in half. Working with one half at a
time, roll or stretch dough into an 18” x 6” rectangle.
- Arrange five ¼ cup balls of potato filling down the length
of the dough, centered between top and bottom, then fold
top third of dough over the filling to cover, then fold up
bottom third of dough, like a business letter, to encase the
filling. Slice between balls of filling, bring corners together
on top of each knish, then flip and place seam-side down
on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining
dough and filling to form 10 knishes.
- Lightly beat remaining egg and brush over knishes. Stir
together pretzel salt, poppy seeds and sesame seeds, and
sprinkle heavily over knishes, then use a sharp knife to cut
an “X” on top of each knish.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20
minutes. Cool slightly, then serve warm.